Who said banana bread season was over?! In my opinion, banana bread is the best way to use up bananas that are on the turn, all year around. This recipe is super simple, uses gluten-free and vegan ingredients and turns out deliciously.
Makes 1 banana bread loaf
3 large over-ripe bananas
75ml coconut oil
100g coconut sugar
225g gluten free plain flour, spelt flour or use self-raising flour and reduce the baking powder to 2 heaped tsp
3 heaped tsp baking powder
3 tsp cinnamon or mixed spice
50g chopped walnuts
45g dark chocolate broken into chunks
– Heat oven to 200C/180C fan. Mash 3 large peeled bananas with a fork, then mix well with the coconut oil and coconut sugar until relatively smooth.
– Add the flour, baking powder and cinnamon or mixed spice, and fold in well. Add the walnuts and chocolate if using.
– Bake in an oiled, lined 2lb loaf tin for 40 minutes. After ten minutes check and cover with foil if the cake is browning.
– Bake until a skewer comes out clean.
– Allow to cool a little before slicing.